It is a known issue that overtime the original super-capacitor in the Davis ISS can fail and be seen leaking from its base or swells on the cap. Once failed this causes excessive drain on the CR123A backup battery, or in extreme cases the ISS will fail completely.
This improved 15F super-capacitor is rated to last well into a dull winters day after charging fully.
Davis technical support (USA) has confirmed that one (or two super-capacitors on early boards) can be installed and several values are suitable for installation. The night run-time is proportional to capacitance. The reason for Davis's 10F super-capacitor selection was determined by need - vs - cost. The ISS boards are designed to take 10F, 15F, 25F or 50F units.
Special care needs to be taken when working with super-capacitors. Improper handling can lead to damage when forming the 90 degree bend in the leads, special care needs to be taken to assure no stress travels through the terminal lead rubber seal on the bottom of the super-capacitor. The 90 degree bend should be done by holding the leads with narrow-tipped pliers near the rubber seal, and bending the leads against the pliers. When installing, special care needs to be taken to assure no mechanical stress travels into the part. Similarly, solder time needs to be minimized to keep thermal stresses from the super-capacitor.
- 6152 - Wireless Vantage Pro2
- 6162 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus
- 6153 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 with 24-Hour Fan Aspirated Shield
- 6163 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hour Fan Aspirated Shield
- 6323 - Wireless Integrated Sensor Suite with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield
- 6327 - Wireless Integrated Sensor Suite Plus with UV & Solar Radiation Sensors
- 6328 - Wireless ISS Plus with 24-Hour Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield
- 6372 - Wireless Temperature Station
- 6382 - Wireless Temperature / Humidity Station
- 6332 - Anemometer Transmitter Kit
Please note that due to the delicate nature of the capacitors returns cannot be accepted if legs have been bent. Please also ensure that the capacitor is installed in the correct polarity to avoid damage to the ISS board - the longer leg is positive (+).
Product shown is an example, the colour and manufacturer may vary depending on availability at time of shipment.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.